WED NOV 8 – FRI NOV 10, 2023
Outing Description: Less than 3 hours from Pensacola, let’s explore the beauty and history of Montgomery and the civil rights museum.
Difficulty Level: MODERATE (there will be plenty of street walking)
Date & Time: Nov. 8-10 (see itinerary below)
Where (meet up?:
Cost: Hotel, all meals, attractions Equipment:
Musts: camera, lens (tele & wide…all size will be good), memory cards, extra batteries. Know your camera and how to adjust your ISO, aperture and shutter speed easily.
Optional: Tripod for slow shutter speed shooting, remote shutter release or know how to use 2 sec delay if your camera has it.
What else to bring:
Food/Drink: Bring your own water & snacks if desired. Plan on eating meals out.
Attire: Dress appropriate to weather. Good walking shoes.
RSVP: No later than 7 days before outing. Text Yvonne at 970-759-0181 or Email: DgoPhotographer@gmail.com
- Travel to Montgomery. Depending on the route you take, it should be about 165 miles and 2.5 hours from Pensacola driving straight through. But do consider allowing time to enjoy the back roads and sights along the way. Possibility to cnvoy in separate vehicles if interested.
- Suggested hotel is Best Western Montgomery, I-85 North hotel. About $100/night depending on any available discounts. Free parking, complimentary breakfast.
- Take a walk around One Court Square, visitor center, Rosa Parks statue. etc.
- Group dinner TBD, discuss the outing, any updates, requests, etc.
- 8am: Breakfast at hotel
- 9am: Montgomery Civil Walk of Freedom Guided (GPS) Walking Tour $6.50
- 12pm: Lunch at the 102-year-old Chris’ Hotdogs on distoric Dexter Ave (F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hank Williams, Dr. Martin Luther King and Elvis Presley, all enjoyed their share of this eatery’s famous hot dogs and burgers.)
- 1pm: National Memorial for Peach & Justice $5.00
- 5pm: Sunset, Riverfront Park along the Alabama River
- 6pm: Group dinner and review photos
- 9am: Jackson Lake Island, fictional town of Specter (from the movie Big Fish) $5
- Depending on when you want to leave, optional visit to Old Alabama Town $25
- Travel home, take a different route, be safe!