The Power of Photography® is an annual photographic show and exhibit developed by the Wide Angle Photo Club, Inc. (WAPC) of Pensacola. The proceeds from the Power of Photography® Show & Exhibit benefit multiple local and national charitable organizations.
Normally, the POP Show coincides with the Great Gulfcoast Arts Festival during the first weekend in November and is held at the Voices of Pensacola Multicultural Center located at 117 E. Government St. The live show and the exhibit is open Friday from Noon until 10 p.m., 9 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday, and 9 a.m.–3 p.m. on Sunday. Photography Educational Lectures are available for free to the public on Saturday.
The entry fee is $10 per photograph if entered by July 15, 2023. Entries submitted between July 16 until August 14 (up to 11:59 PM) are $15 each. Entries submitted in the Youth category are $5.
Unlimited digital images can be submitted (only 10 at one time please) by each photographer. Contestants have 10 weeks and four days to submit images beginning June 01 through August 14, 2023.
NOTE: Enforcement of all rules will rest on the decisions of the POP chairman, WAPC webmaster, and/or WAPC officers.
1. All photos must be original work from the artist. Reverse image search engines such as Google Images, Tineye, etc. will be used to monitor and deter plagiarism. Plagiarizing will be disqualified with no refund to the artist.
2. Artists legally owning any tools, resources, devices, or software have the right to use them when creating a POP entry. For example, artists may use all transforming and healing tools.
3. All added elements used for compositing or replacing parts of the POP entry must be the artist’s original work. Use of any 3rd party stock photo, template, or artifical intelligence (AI) regardless of the artist owning legal rights to it is prohibited. For example, if the artist wants to replace a background or sky, the replacement must be the artist’s original work.
4. Entries found with a watermark will be disqualified with no refund.
5. All entries chosen for the show must have the provided POP labels attached to the reverse side of the photograph. The labels are found by selecting DOWNLOAD next to your POP entry. It contains the artist’s name, entry title, category, photo location, and if desired the photo price and/or a URL where the photo can be purchased. Additionally, it contains an area to choose if you printed at Calagaz or if you used MOAB paper when you printed. Marking these items COULD result in a prize if your photo is chosen by the sponsor.
6. It is the artist’s responsibility to designate the best appropriate category from the drop-down menu. Artists submitting the same photograph in multiple categories will be disqualified with no refund.
7. Artists may submit photos from previous contests as long as it was not chosen for a show (either after the first round in judging or the final score did not make the cut). Images found that were previously accepted will be disqualified with no refund.
8. If the subject of an entry appears to be a child under the age of 18, the artist must attach a completed Parental Minor Model Release Form (PDF) to the reverse of the matted print.
9. No nude photography accepted.
Images submitted for the POP contest are judged in three phases:
Phase One: All submissions recieve a Yes, No, or Maybe vote from each of our three judges. Any image receiving two No votes is removed from the competition without being scored. All other images will advance to Phase 2.
Phase Two: Judges score photos between 1 and 10 in Subject, Lighting, Composition, Originality, and Post Processing. Individual photos can receive a total of 50 points from each judge making for a maximum score of 150 points per image.
Phase Three: Depending on the total number of entries, 300+ images are admitted to the current year’s POP Show. Judging for Best in Show and any other photograph as requested by a sponsor is conducted before the event begins at Noon on Friday.
The Wide Angle Photo Club Power of Photography® Show and photography lectures are FREE and open to the public. Donations are appreciated to help support multiple local and national charities.
Any amatuer or professional photographer may participate in the contest. Winners are determined by a panel of three judges.
No. However, you must open an account with the WAPC website to participate.
Yes, there is a Youth category for photographers 18 years old and under.
Prizes include ribbons, cash, and non-cash prizes.
Yes. You may upload or e-mail your digital High Resolution (240-300 dpi) photographs, using one of the links below to a local retailer, where your photographs will be printed, matted and delivered to the POP exhibition.
Calagaz Photo Pensacola
Phone: (850) 476-2697
Address: 7160 N 9th Ave, Pensacola, FL 32504
Calagaz Photo Mobile
Phone: (251) 478-0487
Address: 90 Springdale Blvd, Mobile, AL 36606
Marty Campbell Gallery & Frame Shop
Phone: (850) 565-4230
Address: 3092 Gulf Breeze Pkwy, Gulf Breeze, FL 32563
Phone: (850) 361-8060
Address: 806 S Pace Blvd., Pensacola, FL 32502
No. Images must be picked up on Sunday, the last day of the show. If a contestant is not able to pick up their photograph, it will be transported to Calagaz Photo Pensacola at 7160 N 9th Ave.
You will only be asked to submit printed and matted images if your images are selected for exhibition in the show so they may be hung in the gallery.
Not necessarily. While you have earned the honor of being one of the select few chosen for exhibition, the winning ribbons and prizes are selected from among the approximately 350 images chosen for display — not all images will win a prize.